Monday, December 7, 2009

Questions about Tubal Reversal Surgery

Many people contact Chapel Hill Tubal Reversal Center seeking information about tubal ligation reversals with Dr. Berger and Dr. Monteith. Their most frequent questions are about success rates, pregnancy rates, the procedure and recovery, cost and insurance, risks and alternatives. The Chapel Hill Tubal Reversal Center website provides answers to these questions and the interactive Tubal Reversal Message Board provides an additional source of support that women who want to restore their fertility after a previous sterilization can go to communicate with other women who have had their tubes untied or are preparing to have reverse tubal ligations.

This is topic TTC over 40 in forum Questions about Tubal Reversal at Tubal Reversal Message Board.
Posted by WIMom27
Hello ladies.... I have been doing all my homework, have been to visit several Dr's looking for the right one, have read and read and read about TR, TTC, statistics, risks, etc. BUT.... I want to hear from REAL women over 40 about your successes or failures with TTC, BFP, and what your pregancies were like. I am 41 and am getting concerned about the whole process. The doctors like to point out all the negatives, of course. I know the risks are high for chromosome issues, low pregnancy rates, etc. I just really need to hear some information from those of you who have been through this process.

Posted by Momzilla
Well, my experience was actually pre-TL but I had an OOPS baby (#3) delivered when I was 40 and it was my longest gestation, easiest C-Section and quickest recovery ...40 is the new 30 you know...I have a friend who had baby #3 at 44 and had zero issues getting pregnant or delivering..There is hope! Tracy

Posted by Jen G.
WImom: Thanks for asking for some positive information. You're right. Most of what you get when you're over 40 is gloom and doom. I'm not saying it's going to be easy, and I've seen more than a few over 40s on these boards have to deal with tragic losses but we have to remain positive. Momzilla gives us just one example of an over 40 success story. There are many others. Someone suggested that I check out the Pregnant at 40 message board on ivillage. Those ladies are inspirational. I wish you all the luck. I know I've seen your display name before. Have you had TR yet? I'm hoping for Feb. Then it's GAME ON!

Posted by GodisGood68
I'm 41 and I'm getting my TR Dec 29th. I'm very excited and looking forward to a quick BFP. I'm not concerned about the age factor. I got my FSH and it was a great number. As long as your ovulating and the eggs have been tested and they are in good shape, you shouldn't have a problem with a BFP. I wish you all the best in your TR journey. I'm looking forward to BDing after the TR.
[Love] Roslyn

Posted by AnitaA68
Roslyn, best wishes on that quick BFP.
Unfortunately, even though lab results show your ovarian reserve may be good, that doesn't always mean a quick BFP. There is no way to tell the condition of your eggs. Age is sadly a big factor, and fertility does greatly decline after 35. Believe me, I know. I had my TR at 37 and tried for two years to get a BFP, with none to be seen, before I went to an RE. So, please be agressive with TTC and don't wait too long. I do not mean to be negative, I'm just encouraging you to be proactive.
I was worried that the pregnancy would be hard on me, but it was actually the easiest.

Posted by WIMom27
Thank you ladies! No, I have not had my TR yet. I am still trying to get the money together, which is proving to be more difficult that I originally planned! I am also still hoping for Feb, but will more likely be March or April
Posted by caroljean776
WIMom.. come join us in the Over 35 TTC thread... I am 43 and we are all ladies of "Advanced Maternal Age" TTC. We can put you on our "Waiting" list.

Posted by Momzilla
I know that there are probably more struggles than victories once we get to the so-called "advanced maternal age" (I hate labels!) but I wanted to show that there is hope. I know many women who were young and still struggled with fertility while other "older" women have had succesful pregnancies..It is such a far from exact science. My co-workers wife was 36 when they started trying and she got pregnant in only a few months but, sadly, miscarried and has since been unable to get PG. Two IVF attempts have failed, one failed to implant and the other..the embryos did not survive the transfer. She has eggs that basically have "weak shells" for lack of a better term. They let in more than 1 sperm and the embyros just die. There is nothing they can do but keep trying and hope to get one strong one or use donor eggs down the road. I really feel for them...Everyone who gets PG in their lives causes them such a mixed bag of joy and anguish..Heartbreaking...On the other side of the coin, my friend and I had healthy babies at 40 and 43 without charting, temping, meds, ovulation kits, etc. She tried for hers and I did not. You just never know what is in store for you sometimes and I truly believe if it is meant to be it will be (and who is to say that some meds and due diligence are not the helping hand in "meant to be" either) I was at my visit to discuss meds (after 2 miscarriages and a year of trying at 37) when she ran bloodwork and told me I was atually PG. That was my second son. In total, I had 6 pregnancies and 3 miscarriages on my journey to get to the 3 kids I have. I started out TTC close to advanced maternal age so I am a a pro! I used to call them "these old eggs" but apparently they had legs! I did not have my 1st until I was 3 months shy of 35. The second came 1 month shy of 38 and #3 was at 40..#3 was not planned and resulted from failed BC..He turned out to be a good natured sweetheart and a treasure..I hope all of you here receive BFPs soon and I sincerely hope that they all result in new babies to cherish.
Good luck and keep the faith..sometimes things happen when you least expect them.
Tracy

Posted by AnitaA68
Tracey, " if it is meant to be it will be (and who is to say that some meds and due diligence are not the helping hand in "meant to be" either)" AMEN! Thank you for saying that.
Posted by caroljean776
Absolutely Anita... meds and good monitoring have resulted in many healthy babies that are all "meant to be"... prayers and good luck to all of us that need that little extra help! [Big Grin]

Posted by Swestra
AnitaA68- I really need some hope. I am 39, had TR July 09. Already had RE test ovarian reserve, FSH, etc and it all looked good. Before TR I NEVER had any problem getting pg (never used OPK's, didn't need to) but now my new hubby and I have been using OPK"s and no BFP yet. My insurance won't cover an HSG (plus it's a bit too early to do that) but I am parnoid that tubes have already closed back up. You mentioned meds- what kind of meds helped you get your BFP? Hubby is getting SA next week. Any advise is appreciated!!!!!!

Posted by AnitaA68
Swestra, I never had to use anything to get pregnant before either. Never even had to think about it. LOL I wish it was that way now. I spent years trying not to get pregnant, and now I've spent a few trying TO get pregnant. I wish it was easier. I was diagnosed w/ unexplained infertility even though my tubes were open and had to go the IVF route to get my LO. I did get an unassisted BFP this past Valentine's Day, but unfortunately it was apparently a chemical, because it didn't last for long. The only thing you can do is be proactive. Research, seek medical advise, and try things, within reason. My insurance didn't cover things either. You have to make choices...."do I need this new thing, or do I want to save the money for this?" OOP, our HSG was about $600. Contact the hospital, tell them you have no coverage, and they may give you a lesser fee if you pay cash. You can get decreases in charges this way one a lot of things. HTH and good luck.

Posted by Swestra
Thanks Anita! Did you try Clomid or anything like that?

Pregnancy Rates After Tubal Reversal

From July 2000 to June 2008, 5046 women underwent tubal ligation reversal at Chapel Hill Tubal Reversal Center. The operative techniques of microsurgical tubal anastomosis, tubouterine implantation, and salpingostomy were used as appropriate to each patient’s situation, and often these techniques were combined in a single case. Including all women’s ages, methods of tubal ligation, and operative techniques used for tubal reversal, the overall pregnancy rate was 66% based on 3317 pregnancies reported during this 8 year interval.The following pages show pregnancy rates specific for age, method of tubal ligation, and remaining tubal lengths available for repair and the interaction between these factors:

No comments: